Wednesday, November 28, 2007

No kidding!

I'm working on another sweater for my spring collection and thought I'd try out O-Wool Classic which I got from Ariadne Knits. The stuff is not all that exciting to knit with but what happens when you block it is pure magic!


See for yourself in the photo below: on the left is a swatch after a nice relaxing soak in a Eucalan bath for about 15 minutes. On the right, two sad little sleevies awaiting their turn in the sink ;0)


Not impessive enough? Check out what happens to the cables below. Can you guess which was soaked?

Nice, eh? I'm totally enamoured with this yarn. Plus it's organic and the 100% merino content is oh so soft. Double plus, the yardage is amazing! Can't wait to get my hands on some more. I have a feeling this one is about to become a staple around here. Here's a preview of my latest design using less than two skeins of this wonderful yarn.


Its another lap-shouldered sweater (because I think that's just the cleverest idea I've ever had!) with a quirky modern aran touch. I call it Get Ziggy. He's getting the spa treatment right now but I'm hoping to show it to you in all its (hopeful glory) next time.

But now, time for the final installment of my holiday gift idea meme: Dada's favourite things! If you are shopping for an almost 30, absolutely loveable, and self-admittedly geeky gamer, here's a list for you ;0)


Top row: The West Wing Complete Series DVD Collection ( we both loved this really smart show plus it has sentimental value for us since before we were married and living together, Stephen would drive up to my apartment to watch it with me on Wednesday nights...good times ;0), the Squirrel and Oak mittens I knit for him (they made his top 9 gifts of all time list! Oh, how I heart that man!), and lastly, the Nintendo Wii (I don't think I have to qualify that one -- it's a Nintendo people!).

Middle row: The Orange Box (you'll have to excuse me because I'm not a gamer so I don't know why it's sooo cool but apparently it is!), Old Navy performance fleece sweaters (they rock and he's always snuggled up in one which usually means I'm snuggled up with him too because I can't resist my warm and cozy man!), and finally the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy.

Bottom row: Zelda Twilight Princess game for Wii (he really enjoyed this one and I got to knit a lot while watching him play. Bonus, the music is cute ;0), Office Space (a classic for anyone who's ever worked in a cube farm like us), and lastly tunes in general but he and the Barenaked Ladies go way back!

So that's it for my family's favourite things. Hope it gave you a few ideas ;0) Wanna play holiday gift idea meme? Just write about your family's tried and tested favourite things and let me know if you do so I can get some ideas too!

Cheers!

14 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...very cool yarn. Might have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool yarn. I will need to get my hands on some of that! Wow the way those cables changed is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yarn is luscious. Now, THATlooks great to suggle up in!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:46 p.m.

    what wonderful yarn! I'll will put it on the top of the list after the yarn diet ( diet's only for the month of december- can't get too crazy)
    If you need me for Get Ziggy too, just let me know I'm very happy to assist!
    :)
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful - the cable is very nice too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's see...the Wii, Zelda and H2G2...those are on MY favorite list too!

    You do know there are more than 3 books in the series, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that yarn IS great. Now I have an excuse to head to Ariadne's new storefront this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice yarn! Can't wait to have your website and all your patterns! Happy knitting
    paty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, what does it say about me that I own three of your husband's favorite things?? I am stuck in Twilight Princess and am trying to convince my DH to help me past the point. I know WHAT to do, I am just not a true gamer, ya know? LOVE LOVE the Wii though. It allows us non-gamers into the fun. And we all know the ultimate answer is 42. ;-)

    I love the new sneak peak of the sweater. The change post soak is amazing. I wish other fibers worked like wool. Too hot for wool in NC. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:00 a.m.

    You could be describing my husband with that list! Let me tell you, though, the Orange Box is highly addictive. I had to move my knitting chair into his office to spend a little time with my husband after he got that:) Thanks for the great meme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also would love to test knit this little aran for you! I love cables!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sweater looks incredibly soft and wonderful. I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm SO glad you like the o-wool classic! we have a 2-ply now in the store too! (we'll have it online very soon) same stuff as the classic, but more of a sock weight.

    on another note, the Orange Box is fantastic (to me) because of the game "portal". i would say it is one of the most innovative games i have seen in a long time! If you or the person you are buying for likes puzzles and problem solving games, Portal is perfect for them! i know there is also another installment of half life, but i am already entrenched in playing Bioshock,(another beautiful, must have in the collection game) so only one FPS for me at a time!

    toodles!

    mary j

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I love the new sweater. If you need any test knitters I would love to volunteer!

    ReplyDelete