Monday, February 18, 2008

How about a crane for his Cheerios?

Well, another week, another cold. And this time, no one was spared! All 4 of us were sniffling, sneezing, coughing, whining and complaining all weekend long! Not. Fun. Luckily, we should all be breathing easier in a day or two and I an get back to the important task of figuring out the wings for my knitting tattoo (BTW, I will put up the pattern for you when it's all done, hopefully by next week)!


In the meantime, I thought I'd show you some pics of Julian modeling the Rowan Yorskshire Tweed Chunky yoked sweater (it's the copycat sweater from Ann Budd's 'Handy book of sweater patterns') I knit for him in the fall. I had put up the photos on Flickr but don't think I got to blogging them. So here goes...

I think it's my favourite sweater of all the special knits I made for my boys. I just love everything about it, including how it makes my Jujube look even more irresitable. Even when his goofy gene (inherited from his father, see proof here) is in full effect as it was during that photoshoot. Oh, how I love my boys. They always find a way to crack me up ;0)



Like the other day...Julian and I were talking about how Lolo's first birthday is coming up and how fun it would be for us to make something special for his birthday. I was thinking of something along the lines of maracas or a noisemaker that I could make and Julian could decorate. We've been going to The Music Class on Saturday mornings and Lolo sure loves those egg shakers so it seemed like a great idea to me. Though Julian had some other ideas...

After thinking it over for a minute at lunch on Saturday, it suddenly hit him! The perfect gift to make for his little brother: what about a crane for his Cheerios?

Well, Steve and I just about fell off our chairs laughing at that one. He also did the crane motion picking some Cheerios from Lolo's high chair as he said it. Of course, what better gift for a 1 year old! How can we have missed it ;0)

Any ideas on how we can make either?

PS - did you see how I snuck in those mittens? I made them for my sister this Christmas using the leftover yarn. Actually, I ran out of yarn for the second mitten so had to frog back the first and get creative with the stripes. Sooo something my grandma would have done and my sis loved them! It's really too bad that Rowan disocntinued that yarn...

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:11 a.m.

    According to a description I found online, the Tinkertoy Classic Jumbo set "comes with string to make a crane" - though you might have to devise your own construction plans.
    Please post a picture if you do make one!
    Cheers,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely jumper, and mitens! It'such absolutely lovely colour...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get some photos in my guy in his sweater. Thank you again for the yarn. I'm going to try to make a thorpe hat with my leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a SWEET sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet sweater for your sweet boy!

    The recent little Martha Stewart magazine "Good Things for Kids" has instructions for making noisemaker-type instruments from common household stuff. I haven't tried making them, but they look easy and eminently clang-able.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:04 p.m.

    Love the sweater. If you like Ann Budd's construction, you definitely need to get on board with Elizabeth Zimmerman. I love her yoked sweaters. and her raglans. and her tomtens. and everything else. Anyway, I made one for my boy with the alphabet and his name in the yoke design and I've got plenty of ideas for others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a really lovely sweater Anny. I love the heathers and it looks so cozy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might want to take a look at the baby valkyrie hat on bellknitting.com The wings on that hat weren't hard to do. I love the tattoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kids say the cutest things! I wish I would remember to write down more of the gems to fall from my children's mouths.

    Cute sweater!

    Happy knitting-
    ali

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Julian looks so adorable in his sweater. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about making a dozen noise makers? When my boys were little we made a noisemaker set using plastic Easter eggs and misc fillers. Some ideas are sand, rice, coins, etc. Julian could easily help pick out the fillers. Then to put the eggs together, run a bead of glue around the edges and then seal with electrical tape. (It comes in lots of colors and can be used to decorate the eggs with poka dots, stripes, etc.) Obviously these will need to be used with supervision, but it is a great easy craft that is a lot of fun. We stored our noise makers in a cleaned out egg carton and even turned it into a game. Each of six eggs had a "match" and they would have to find its mate by shaking and listening carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cozy looking sweater! And that little guy looks perfect to cozy up too, LOL. Cute & cozy as a bug in a rug.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:36 p.m.

    My older son's favourite toys were a set of plastic cranes- he called them "Hangers and grabbers", but I don't recall if he ever used them for his Cheerios!

    I love that you striped the mittens- is the one white thumb to differentiate left from white?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:37 p.m.

    I meant, of course, left from right, not left from white. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks great on your young man! My friends and bought your adorable patterns at the Bella Knitting booth at Stitches West. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete