Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Yoda couture...

One of our dear friends (who also happens to be our Lolo Bean's godfather) and his totally gorgeous wife welcomed their first child, baby Nicola, into the world on Friday morning just as I was weaving the ends on this awesome Yoda hat and jacket.


You see, Mauro is a serious Star Wars fan and as soon as I saw this pattern (years ago) I squirreled it away in my brain knowing that I would knit it for his child one day. And now that day has come and I am so thrilled! It was such a pleasure to knit too because it all looks so authentic. I really got such a kick out of it.


I knit the the hat from just over one ball of Elann Peruvian Highland Wool in the 'peridot' colourway using this free pattern. I added earflaps by picking up 15 stitches on either side and working in garter stitch decreased at the beginning and end of every right side row 3 times and then every row until 3 stitches remained. Using a couple of DPNs I finished them off with i-cord ties. The whole thing got felted 3 times. And voila, the quintessential Yoda hat.


The sweater was knit to spec using this free pattern and just 3 balls of Rowan All Seasons Cotton in 'cookie'. For even more Star Wars awesomeness, I used these charts to write "may the force be with you" on the inside hem. Love it!

We brought it over yesterday afternoon and it was a hit with the new dad. Of course, I'll have to knit a little something pink and girly to make up for dressing poor little Nikki in a weirdo space creature outfit. I have a few ideas brewing...

Cheers!

21 comments:

  1. If I only knew any babies whose parents were Star Wars fans...it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute for words. Fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun is that! what a lucky baby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love your blog....I have been reading and enjoying your children and knits for, oh, before lolo, so for a while. This was such a great gift! You are so creative and loving motherhood as much as I am! It is so refreshing to have a blogger who feels the same as I do!
    Great, great job - on your projects and mothering as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's adorable!

    Your ears look better than the original pattern. What did you do differently?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:48 a.m.

    So adorable! That's a lucky friend (and friend's baby) who has you planning years ahead like that. Wonder what you'll come up with next? Too soon for the Princess Leia cinnamon-bun-hair bonnet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG. That is the coolest, geekiest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just SO cute, hope we get to see pictures of the baby wearing it :) Love how you've knit the writing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really funny - and at the same time very practical...
    LoOOOOOve it..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how that all came out - I even queued the sweater! Always looking for a cute baby sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:10 a.m.

    This is just too cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How very creative of you! Loved the wording :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. soooo cool!
    love love love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is nothing better than working on costumey stuff! 'Love the years and LOVE the message inside! Brilliant addition!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how cute, and I love writing inside too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! I clicked on the pattern link for the wrap, and was taken to Not Found. If I cannot locate the pattern, would you share it with me? I would love to make the wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is awesome! I know so many startwars fans (including myself though I don't have kids) who would love that! It's so nice when people create stuff they know someone else will totally love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my gosh how cute to write may the force be with you! adorable! well done

    corrie:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adore the Yoda hat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous and super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a beautiful name, Nicola! And these creations are gorgeous, specially the Yoda hat above and I will do the something similar because it'd be nice to get a a sweater. 23jj

    ReplyDelete