Monday, September 01, 2008

Duck Soup!

There's a new pattern for wee ones hanging around my shop today, meet Duck Soup!


He came about one winter night as I tried to imagine the simplest, sweetest, freshest, and most practical baby garment ever. It would have to be really simple. That means no fancy stitches (just stockinette and garter), not too much shaping, as little counting as possible (aka, can be worked without looking at the pattern too too much), no buttonholes, no frilly bits, minimal seaming, supercute, current, warm, sized to grow with those kidlets who never seem to pause for the knitting, and fun to make. It took about 8 or 9 months of tinkering and tweaking until it was just right, but it's finally here!


It's is a fun to knit and wear (nearly) seamless jacket featuring a knotted hood (too cute), knotted i-cord buttons and loops (fancy lookin' but easy peasy, you'll see) and grow-with-me sensibilities.


Frustrated with sweaters that seem to only fit my tots for a few weeks, I designed this one with multi-season wear in mind.


This jacket will fit as a roomy overcoat with a folded brim and cuffed sleeves this fall and as a more tailored-fitting sweater perfect over a light layer come spring. I've also worked out sizing to fit wee ones from 3 months to 5 years so there really is something for everyone ;0)


The frog closures are such a fun (and deceptively simple) detail and I've included a thorough photo tutorial for making them in the pattern. Mine were knit from Knit Picks Palette (fingering weight) yarn I had lying around in the stash, but they would make perfect use of sock yarn oddments you might have lying around. You can make coordinating multi-coloured ones using the different colours in self-striping sock yarn since each only uses but a few yards of yarn.


As for the main yarn, I used Classic Elite Countess which I purchased from Webs during boxing week last year (told you I've been thinking about this one for a while!) The yarn is a beautiful multi and is made up of lots of strands of different coloured yarns which I picked up on when choosing colours for the closures. It is also so soft and cooshy and a pure pleasure to knit with it.

This is my favourite pattern so far and I hope you'll enjoy it too. You can it here or as a Ravelry download for $6.50.

Happy knitting!

29 comments:

  1. Just went to ravelry and my friend page is full of dick soup! It looks lovely and will be added to my queue too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you mama urchin! that typo has me giggling like a schoolgirl though, heehee ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:30 a.m.

    Hey there....this a beautiful pattern and I'll be sure to put this on my ''to knit'' list. Sis has a wee one coming in february so it will make a great baby gift. Oh and your blof inspired me to create one of my own...you can read it here : vivementlaretraite.blogspot.com

    happy knitting!
    Karine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! I've been wanting this one for so long. Thanks for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I just found out that this yarn is discontinued!! Second choice, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Congratulations!
    Paty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely add this one up to my to-buy list.
    What would you recommend in lieu of Countess - in wool ? Merino ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:33 a.m.

    Oh my gosh, that is perfect! I am buying the pattern right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:34 p.m.

    How charming!

    I've got several things on the needles and in my to-knit queue already, but when I've cleared my plate I'll definitely check back for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! Just purchased the pattern. Perfect timing, too, with the announcement of a friend's baby due in Feb. Can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:32 p.m.

    What a gorgeous, adorable design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY GOD, I LOVE IT!!!!!!
    ok, I've calmed down now :) I wish your shop wasn't blocked at work, or I'd buy it RIGHT NOW!!! hhhmmm, maybe Ravelry won't be. Anyway, I can't wait to start one for my little one! :) I love all your designs, I just have to make time to knit them ALL!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic pattern! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:51 p.m.

    that's absolutely adorable AND ingenious! can't wait to get a copy for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:09 p.m.

    I have been waiting for quite a while for this pattern...ever since your smidgen of a picture of the frog closings.

    Can't wait to get started :^)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love this one! I see myself making one for all the kids in my family this winter! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thoughtful, practical design and it looks good! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. just ordered duck soup. i'm so excited because i needed something new to knit during our enforced time with no electricity when i go home to south louisiana tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:58 a.m.

    This is so wonderful! I can't wait to have a new baby to knit for...will be dreaming about this one. You've done such a good job thinking through the details and working it all into one perfect baby garment. Way to go!

    Yomamaknits

    www.yomamaknits.blogpost.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally love this. Running off to buy the pattern now ...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous3:19 p.m.

    Your pattterns(& knitting)are so awesome. I've already bought a few and will add Duck Soup to the list! Love reading your blog and can't wait to see what you think of next. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Way to go, again!!! I have three babies in waiting to knit for and at least one of them will get one of these! Cudos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness, I want one for ME! Your patterns are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a fantastic pull-over! cheers--

    ReplyDelete
  25. love it and off to get my hands on it

    Corrie:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous9:39 p.m.

    Half way through my first one and it's my new favorite baby sweater pattern. Super cute and ridiculously easy and fast. So impressive. Love seamless patterns. Now, I'm hoping you'll write a pattern for adults. I'm using Berrico Comfort Chunky and really loving the results

    ReplyDelete
  27. if I give something like this to my son, for sure my wife will mock me, for sure she gonna say
    "what do you want? turn your son into a real Kenny from South Park?"

    ReplyDelete