Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Having a ball!

I started composing this post on Monday, but haven't been able to steal enough time away to finish writing and post it. Have you guessed yet? That's right! Stephen's parental leave came to an end after six wonderful weeks with the new family. Off to work he went bright and early Monday morning leaving me outnumbered by the boys for the very first time...


...and really it wasn't so bad at all. The boys were both on their best behaviour. They even napped together leaving me with a few hours to myself in the afternoons. I should have been napping too, but cooked an laundered instead. I tried to do some knitting but my WIPs don't lend themselves well to times alone with the wee ones. There's the anniversary sweater which frankly has me bored to tears (well not really, but you know what I mean) and the knitted ball from Fiona McTague's Knitted Toys which I started on the weekend while watching the worst sequel ever made, the kind that is so awful you just can't tear yourself away.



I should have been finished knitting this by now except that I decided to 'improve' on the pattern by knitting it in intarsia rather than the knitting the wedges separately and then sewing them together. I thought the intarsia would make neater joins (which it did) but it's probably not the best idea to knit a tiny colourful (read: attractive to kids) project with 6 balls of tangled yarn attached to it while you are home alone with a busy toddler and a hungry newborn! No wonder it's still on the needles ;0)

As for the boys, I was really nervous about how I would manage on my own. And while it's been trying and exhausting (I've been falling asleep on the couch after dinner), it's also been fun and enjoyable. Julian is such a sweet boy and is really a lot of fun to be around. And Logan is just beginning to be more aware of his surroundings which is really a lot of fun too. Except for an intense visit to the fence showroom, they've both been super good for mummy this week even if they didn't let me knit much of anything really ;0)

Plus it's been wondrous outside in these parts and we've been taking advantage and getting plenty of fresh air an sunshine which is great...except for Julian's swollen eye. Turns out the poor little guy is allergic to leaf mold and since we've been raking every chance we get (as has our entire neighbourhood) he doesn't stand a chance! His eye's been swollen for 3 days now and still seems to be getting worse and the medicine the doctor prescribed doesn't seem to help. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll magically get better tomorrow so we don't have to spend the weekend at the pediatric clinic again...

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:40 p.m.

    The colours in the ball will be awesome.
    Your sons are gorgeous. I love that picture it is so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the work they are now that they are young, when they are old enough to leave you alone and play together with their own made up games...it's a dream. It's taken 2 1/2 years and it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that picture of your boys is the sweetest thing ever! It's great that you had such a good week for your first days on your own. They are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor boy with the swollen eye! Put some breastmilk in it. That will help a lot. Just express some into a small cup and use a medicine dropper and put a few drops in his eye a day. I know, it sounds wonky, but it really does work!
    Oh, and I am loving that ball!! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How *absolutely* precious! Oh my gosh. I remember those days. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that your adorable little guys are behaving for you. So sorry about the eye thing! I hope that everything works out.

    I know how you feel being left alone -- today is my first full day by myself, and my baby's not even 2 weeks old. (!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The boys look so sweet together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:19 a.m.

    It really does get better! The first time that you realize that you could really sit and knit and they will all play nicely together is a bit of a shock but you get over it quickly! I love that ball the colors are great and it will be nice for inside play when the weather isn't cooperating so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your boys are gorgeous! That picture is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet picture of the boys! I do hope Julian's eye gets better. I have allergies and my eyes (particularly the right one) have been itchy, watery, red, kinda sore, and "goopy" at times...a royal pain in the butt! Gonna have to make an appointment with the eye doctor and get something for it I think...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh poor Julian! Kim is right tho, put some breas milk in it. Does wonders for a stuffy nose or goopy newborn eyes.

    Your boys are beautiful! I'm loving the pic of a sleeping Julian and awake Lolo. It does go so fast. I was so nervous when my hubby went back to work when his 4 week leave was up but we manage. You work out little systems to make things work. Granted my big guy was a bit older than Julian but he'll be a big helper and you all will get along famously.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your boys are completely adorable, and your WIP looks like it will be one fine orb of summer, but I have to know...

    What was the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:21 p.m.

    Darling picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh your boys are just beautiful - I'm sure that was a really FAST peaceful moment, but a GREAT picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in love with the first picture!

    We'll forgive you for not knitting much ;)

    ReplyDelete