Here's my pattern:
- Cast on 23 stitches and join in the round (or you could knit it on two needles and seam the side if you prefer though if you do, you should cast-on 25 stitches to allow for the seam and bind off 12 stitches instead of 10 in step 3).
- Knit straight until it measures 3 and a half inches
- Bind-off 10 stitches and work the remaining 13 stitches on two needles as follows for the flap closure
- On right side rows: slip 1, knit to end.
- On wrong side rows: slip 1, knit 1, purl to last two stitches, knit 2.
- Continue until flap from bind off measures 1 and a half inches ending with a wrong side row.
- Next row (right side): slip 1 knit 5, yarn over, knit 2 together, knit to end.
- Next two rows: slip 1, knit to end.
- Bind off all stitches.
- Using the tail end from the cast on (or another piece of yarn if the tail is not long enough) sew up the bottom leaving a gap the width of one stitch on the left side (for the earphone jack).
- For earphone pocket (optional): pick up and knit 10 stitches on the bottom front of the pouch 1 or 2 rows from the cast-on edge.
- Knit back and forth on two needles in stocking stitch increasing by 1 stitch at the beginning and end of every alternate row (twice) until you have 14 stitches then continue knitting straight until pocket measures 2 and a half inches.
- Knit two rows and bind-off.
- Sew up sides leaving another quarter inch gap on the bottom left side (for earphone cord) if desired.
- Sew button to pocket.
- Voila! A very cute and functional nano cozy.