Thursday, May 25, 2006

He's taken, ladies!

A very smart lady* once said "If you find a non-knitter who thinks what you do is clever, beautiful, and artistic; who never asks for knitted stuff but wears it with pride when you give it to him; and will help you carry home a whole fleece or a stack of stitch dictionaries without once implying that you might want to get a grip -- marry that person."


Well, I did! Even without prior knowledge I might add since I started to knit like a crazy person after we said our vows. He also reads Harlot, knows what all my knitterly blog friends are working on at any one time, enables pure Olympic craziness and has memorised grafting instructions which he recites as I graft my socks closed! But yesterday, he did something even more astonishing.

Yup, he's sewing up a knitted hem! I was lamenting that it was taking forever, showed him what I was doing and he volunteered to finish it for me. And he did. And he did a really neat job too! Astonishing, eh? Back off ladies, he's spoken for ;0) I watched in awe for a little while, but had to go feed the little guy who was starting to literally eat my skirt! What a cutie! When Julian and I were done, so was the finishing on the baby kimono! What a great trick.

I finished knitting up the sleeves during Conan O'Brian late last night and hemmed them. Then this morning as I got ready to photograph it for you all I noticed this:

Darn photos! Notice the shorty sleeve? Of course I noticed it after sewing it up hem and all and super neatly weaving in all the ends. Argh! I took a little break from it and was able to fix it during Julian's afternoon nap. It wasn't as frustrating as I expected it to be. Now all I need to do is think of a way to finish up the neck band and to fasten it. I need to "cute-ify" it. Maybe a bunny ear hat?

I'm on it ;0)


*The Yarn Harlot herself on page 8 of her latest book, Knitting Rules!

12 comments:

  1. I loved that line in the Harlot's book. I'm glad you've got such a wonderful husband; the finishing looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a husband. Now if only you can get him to knit! Well at least you get the fun part of the knitting, and he can sew them all up for you. What a production line in the making. Cute kimono too. Isnt that your own pattern. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bunny ear hat would be cute. Maybe easier and just as cute would be a little striped roll-brim hat with I-cord at the very top tied in a knot.

    I believe in genetics and now that I know about his fantastic Daddy, we REALLY want to arrange a committment between Julian and one of the girls ;)

    Seriously, I'm jealous over here. Mine only grunts when I talk about knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:03 p.m.

    Ah, I need someone to recite for me the grafting process....I always forget and I have to stop and run to get my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to your wonderful man! Love the kimono. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Think you could rent him out for finishing to the rest of us?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one lucky lady!

    And the kimono? Super-cute. I'm sure some of the cuteness was added by the super-cute husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:22 a.m.

    oooh you are so lucky. tell stephen (that's his name right?) i said he is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tee hee Anny, I have one of those too! He never complains about the size of my stash, pays for my yarn and can sympathize about my socks. He hasn't sewn yet but I suppose if I asked (maybe I should and then I would get some stuff sewn up!). Your hubby is a keeper - mine too! And I so appreciate it! The kimono is wonderful. A bunny ear hat would be way too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:41 p.m.

    adorable wrap sweater, hope you will post pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The kimono looks so cute! What a great hubby you have to help you with your knitting stuffs!

    If you want...you can finish up my Let's Party Cardi for me LOL. I haven't pulled it out since I put it away at the beginning of the week. Still too soon I think...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Husband is definitely a keeper! :)

    What a cute baby kimono! :)

    ReplyDelete